A fabulous sky blue glass vase with white cameo overlay cut through with very striking decorative floral motifs. The rim and base with white circular borders. Signed Stevens and Williams to base.
Sorry, this item has been sold. If you would like information about similar items please contact us on 07971850405 or make an enquiry via email here.
Dimensions: 21 cm
Height: 20 cm
Condition: Excellent Original Condition
Materials: Cameo Glass
Stevens and Williams Glass: A short explanation
Stevens and Williams Ltd. were located in Brierley Hill, near Stourbridge in the English Midlands. A strong case can be made that they have existed for over 360 years if we accept that there have been changes of ownership and moving to nearby premises (never very far). The name Stevens and Williams Limited was established in 1847 and was used at least until the end of 1967, when it was abandoned. Royal Brierley Crystal was used for some of the company’s glass from 1919 onwards, the date when George 5th awarded them a Royal Warrant. It became the company’s name in 1968. A very brief potted history can be found below.
Stevens & Williams Glass:
The glassworks which became Stevens & Williams glass was making cut flint (crystal) glass and plain crystal for supply to specialist glass cutters as early as 1804 and probably from the 1770s. They also made coloured window glass for stained glass windows. In the 1880s they were producing high quality cut crystal glass which was termed “Rock Crystal”.
Innovations in coloured glass became popular in the 1870s, and in the Stourbridge area cameo work became a speciality, led by John Northwood who undertook commissions for several glassworks including Stevens and Williams. In 1880 Frederick Carder, then aged 17, joined Stevens and Williams in their design section. John Northwood became “artist manager” in 1882 and the company produced several innovative and beautiful types of coloured glass, as well as their traditional cut and engraved crystal.
John Northwood’s eldest son, Harry Northwood, left England in 1881 to work in the glass industry in America, and eventually to found his successful glass companies there. John Northwood continued to work for Stevens and Williams until he died in 1902, and a year later Frederick Carter left for America and subsequent fame. John Northwood II continued the innovative successes at Stevens and Williams, with Joshua Hodgetts as master craftsman.
The early 20th century was a time of change in the glass industry. There was a demand for attractive mass-produced glass, foreign imports competed strongly with local glassworks, and the design tastes of the art deco era were quite different from traditional Victorian art glass. Again Stevens and Williams led the way in design, by appointing the New Zealand architect Keith Murray in 1932 to produce some very modern designs. Keith Murray’s designs were given extensive promotion via advertising and displays. Throughout its history, from the earliest records until the present day (2004), the company made traditional cut crystal glass of the highest quality alongside their other designs.