A wonderful early 20th Century Art Deco glass vase etched with vibrant burgundy scarabs against a deep orange background interspersed with Deco motifs with excellent colour and detail. The base rim signed Le Verre Français
Sorry, this item has been sold. If you would like information about similar items please contact us on 07971850405 or make an enquiry via email here.
Height: 31 cm
Diam: 15 cm
Condition: Excellent Original Condition
Materials: Cameo Glass
Book Ref Schneider by Gerard Bertrand
Page no. 97
Charles and Ernest Schneider (French, Early 20th Century) were a generation younger than Emile Galle and the Daum brothers, whose glassworks were in the same area of France. The Schneider brothers worked for Daum from the early 1900s, Ernest as a salesman/commercial manager, and Charles as a freelance designer. The brothers left Daum around 1912, and recommissioned an old glassworks under the name Schneider Freres et Wolff (Schneider Brothers and Wolff), a few miles north of Paris in 1913. At first the company operated under the name Schneider Frères & Wolf, but before it could become properly established it was forced to close because of the outbreak of World War I. Afterwards it was relaunched as Société Anonyme des Verreries Schneider – the name of the company retained until it went bankrupt in 1938 – with Ernest in charge of business affairs and Charles as technical and artistic director.
Many pieces from the higher priced Schneider range, such as the mottled, opaque Marbrines and Jade vases, were decorated with round enamels picked up from the maver, often with graduated colour effects. Some pieces were left plain, but others had applied decoration in the form of opaque coloured trails and cabonchons, often wheel-carved into reliefs such as stylised flowers. Applied feet and handles were also usually made from glass of contrasting opaque colours, a distinctive feature of Schneider glass.
In 1937 Ernest Schneider died, and in 1939 the company was declared bankrupt and the glassworks sold. At the start of the Second War in 1940 the invading German army which dumped the contents of the glassworks, destroyed many of their records, and turned it into a brewery. Cristallerie Schneider was a new glassworks set up by Charles Schneider and his two sons, Charles and Robert, in 1949. Charles Schneider senior died in 1953. The Cristallerie Schneider operated until 1957, when the works was destroyed by an explosion.
To read more about Schneider click here
To see more of our available Schneider pieces click here