A superb early 20th Century Art Deco car mascot by René Lalique, this highly sought after clear and frosted glass car mascot fashioned and referred to as the "Spirit of the Wind" is the most iconic of all René Lalique’s car mascots and very rare to find in such good condition. Signed R Lalique - France, set in original Breves chrome metal radiator mount and raised on a portoro marble base. In 1928, René Lalique chose to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the armistice with a car mascot called “Victoire”, destined to adorn the bonnets of the finest luxury motorcars of the Roaring Twenties. A real collector’s item.
Acquired from a private London collection
Spirit of the Wind
Catalogue Number: 1147
Signature identification: “R. Lalique France” moulded in relief around top of base
Date introduced: April 18, 1928
Dimensions: 25 cm long
Felix Marcilhac Catalogue Raisonné Page 502
Sorry, this item has been sold. If you would like information about similar items please contact us on 07971850405 or make an enquiry via email here.
Height: 18 cm
Width: 25 cm
Condition: Excellent Original Condition
Materials: Clear & Frosted Glass on Marble plinth
René Lalique (1860-1945) began his career as a jewellery apprentice at the age of 16, and by 1881 he was a freelance designer for many of the best-known Parisian jewellers. In 1885, he opened his own workshop on Place Gaillon in Paris, the former workshop of Jules Destape. In 1887, Lalique opened a business on Rue du Quatre-Septembre, and registered the "RL" mark the following year. In 1890, he opened a shop in the Opera District of Paris. Within a decade, Lalique was amongst the best-known Parisian jewellers.
Oiseau de Feu (Firebird), 1922
In 1905, Lalique opened a new shop at Place Vendôme which exhibited not only jewellery, but glass works as well. It was close to the shop of renowned perfumer François Coty; in 1907, Lalique began producing ornate perfume bottles for Coty. The production of glass objects began at his country villa in 1902, and continued there until at least 1912. The first Lalique glassworks opened in 1909 in a rented facility in Combs-la-Ville, which Lalique later purchased in 1913. In December 1912, Lalique hosted an exhibition of Lalique Glass—as his glass would come to be known—at the Place Vendôme shop. During the First World War, the glassworks produced mundane items in support of the war effort. In 1919, work began on a new production facility in Wingen-sur-Moder, which opened in 1921. From 1925-1931, Lalique produced 29 models of hood ornaments; a mermaid statuette first produced in 1920 was also later sold as a hood ornament. During the 1920s and 1930s, Lalique was amongst the world's most renowned glassmakers.
René Lalique died in 1945. His son Marc Lalique took over the business, operating initially as "M.Lalique" and later as "Cristal Lalique". Under Marc's leadership, the company transitioned from producing its famous Lalique Glass to producing lead glass, commonly known as crystal. Marie-Claude Lalique took control of the company following Marc's death in 1977. It was sold to Pochet in 1994 and to a partnership of Art & Fragrance and the holding company Financière Saint-Germain in 2008. Since 2010, Cristal Lalique has been wholly owned by Art & Fragrance.
To view more René Lalique items like this Lalique Coquilles Plate click here.