Impressive large size early 20th Century clear, frosted and blue stained Art Deco glass scent bottle of spherical form decorated with raised celestial stars, signed Lalique - France to base
This is an early issue of René Lalique's celebrated flacon perfume bottle, circa 1924, designed for the first perfume launched by Les Parfums Worth, Dans la Nuit ("In the Night"). It features a very early design for the stopper of a disc with an eclipsed moon of crystal-polished glass in bas-relief against a cobalt-stained sky filled with raised, crystal-polished stars. This stopper design was available from the mid-1920's through the mid-1930's, when it was discontinued due to an allegation of trademark infringement. Proctor & Gamble had objected that the star-moon motif was too similar to its Ivory soap logo. From the mid-30's on, the flacon was issued with a stopper featuring the eclipsed moon and, in lieu of stars, the perfume name rendered in a lowercase calligraphic font.
Worth - Dans La Nuit
Catalogue Number: 4
Signature identification: “Lalique - France” Script Signature to base
Date introduced: 1924
Dimensions: 25 cm High
Felix Marchilac Catalogue Raisonné Page 952
Height: 25 cm
Width: 19 cm
Condition: Excellent Original Condition with light wear to colour
Materials: Clear and deep blue stained Glass
Book Ref: R.Lalique – Catalogue Raisonné by Felix Marcilhac
Page No. 952
Lalique Worth Scent Bottle "Étoiles"
René Lalique (1860-1945) began his career as a jewellery apprentice at the age of 16, and by 1881 he was a freelance designer for many of the best-known Parisian jewellers. In 1885, he opened his own workshop on Place Gaillon in Paris, the former workshop of Jules Destape. In 1887, Lalique opened a business on Rue du Quatre-Septembre, and registered the "RL" mark the following year. In 1890, he opened a shop in the Opera District of Paris. Within a decade, Lalique was amongst the best-known Parisian jewellers.
Oiseau de Feu (Firebird), 1922
In 1905, Lalique opened a new shop at Place Vendôme which exhibited not only jewellery, but glass works as well. It was close to the shop of renowned perfumer François Coty; in 1907, Lalique began producing ornate perfume bottles for Coty. The production of glass objects began at his country villa in 1902, and continued there until at least 1912. The first Lalique glassworks opened in 1909 in a rented facility in Combs-la-Ville, which Lalique later purchased in 1913. In December 1912, Lalique hosted an exhibition of Lalique Glass—as his glass would come to be known—at the Place Vendôme shop. During the First World War, the glassworks produced mundane items in support of the war effort. In 1919, work began on a new production facility in Wingen-sur-Moder, which opened in 1921. From 1925-1931, Lalique produced 29 models of hood ornaments; a mermaid statuette first produced in 1920 was also later sold as a hood ornament. During the 1920s and 1930s, Lalique was amongst the world's most renowned glassmakers.
René Lalique died in 1945. His son Marc Lalique took over the business, operating initially as "M.Lalique" and later as "Cristal Lalique". Under Marc's leadership, the company transitioned from producing its famous Lalique Glass to producing lead glass, commonly known as crystal. Marie-Claude Lalique took control of the company following Marc's death in 1977. It was sold to Pochet in 1994 and to a partnership of Art & Fragrance and the holding company Financière Saint-Germain in 2008. Since 2010, Cristal Lalique has been wholly owned by Art & Fragrance.
Time line from the Lalique website
To view more René Lalique items like this Lalique Volubilis click here.